Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Some Plants are Poison for Pets

Beautiful holiday floral arrangements and some living plants may look great on the table, but can be lethal to pets. Recently, a 2 year old cat died from ingesting a stargazer lily that was part of a floral arrangement.

Ingestion of a toxic plant can cause a variety of symptoms, including drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions, lethargy, and coma. If your cat displays any unusual symptoms after chewing on a house plant or flower arrangement, contact your veterinarian immediately.

If you are unsure about a plant's toxicity, ask your veterinarian. The National Animal Poison Control Information Center also offers a comprehensive list of plants toxic to cats on their website at

We also found a good article on the website of a local animal hospital - you can find it at

Be sure to check out the latest cat furniture, cat trees and cat condos from Great Lakes Cat Furniture. This is the furniture preferred most by cats. See our website:

No comments: